We will discover the richness of the Taiga forest, the precious ecosystem during the “Taiga snowshoe tracking and wolverine hut" program.
After an instruction, we will follow and discover the secrets of the wildlife in winter. How do animals survive in arctic conditions?
December to AprilDuration
(bigger groups on request)
- transfers Kuhmo/Lentiira
- use of snowshoes
- use of wolverine hide/hut
- guidance in English, French, Finnish
- picnic and hot drinks
We will first drive to Lentiira, about 30 minutes. After a basic instruction how to use the snowshoes, our professional wildlife guide will take you through the wilderness of the taiga forest. We will follow the tracks of wolverine, elk and hare to understand and to discover how do they survive the winter. We will reach a private observation hut and stay there for 1,5-3 hours – in the middle of the silence. We might have a chance to observe the rare wolverine or other animals of the taiga forest. Hot drinks and picnic are served in the hut. Short walk from the hide back to car and drive to Kuhmo.
Good to know
- Snowshoeing is an activity which keeps you warm. So do not wear too much clothes. Keep some extra clothing in your backpack.
- Snowshoeing technic is easy, it is like walking, but can be hard work in deep snow
- Being in front of the line keeps you warm, following others is less tiring
- Wear hat and gloves
- Take your personal medication with
- Remember to drink